Can I Use A Notary Certificate That Lacks Some Required Wording?

I was asked to perform an acknowledgment on a document that had some of the required wording but not all. Can I still notarize if I complete and attach a certificate with the full correct wording?R.Z., California

There are a couple of ways to answer this question. If the document was to be filed or recorded in California, yes, you could take the acknowledgment if you attached a California acknowledgment certificate with the full and complete wording. If the document was to be filed in another U.S. state or jurisdiction, it’s possible you could have signed the acknowledgment certificate as is.

Hotline answers are based on the laws in the state where the question originated and may not reflect the laws of other states. If in doubt, always refer to your own state statutes. – The Editors

Confronted with a tricky notarization? Unsure how to proceed? NNA members have unlimited access to our expertly trained NNA Hotline counselors to help you with all of your notarial questions. Call 1-888-876-0827, Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST; Saturday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST.

Additional Resources:

Notary Law Primers


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s