Updated 4-25-17. Getting the word out when you’re starting a Notary business can be tricky — especially if you are on a tight budget. But don’t get discouraged. These easy, low-cost ways to advertise from successful Notaries can help you.
No Budget = No Problem
- Website Builders: Free online website builders like WordPress make it easy to create an internet presence for your business, says South Carolina Notary Sonita Leak, who also uses Search Engine Optimization to maximize her web marketing efforts and grow her business. You can Google “free SEO tutorials” to help you get started.
- Online Classified Ads: Colorado Notary David Harper was able to grow his company using Craigslist, and recommends renewing your Notary ad every 48 hours to draw in new business. You can also advertise for free on YP.com.
- Notary Directories: If you are an NNA Certified signing agent, you automatically receive a free directory listing on SigningAgent.com to advertise your Sigining Agent business.
- Social Media: Create a Facebook business page separate from your personal one, and use platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn to promote your business.
- Old-Fashioned Networking: Joining professional associations and participating in local events through your church or chamber of commerce are great ways to network with colleagues and connect with potential customers.
- Testimonials And Word-of-Mouth: Solicit feedback reviews from your clients, and ask them to share their positive experiences working with you. Hand out extra business cards for them to pass on to friends and colleagues.
Working On A Shoestring Budget
- Business Cards: Sites like VistaPrint make it simple to design and print affordable, professional-looking business cards. Take it a step further by creating uniquely shaped cards, like Virginia Notary John Cole, who uses a circular card in the shape of a Notary seal.
- Promotional Items: A pen, magnet, calendar or other give-away tchotchke can be effective if: (a) your brand and contact information is prominently displayed; and (b) it’s an item that people will actually use — preferably again and again.
A Bulkier Marketing Budget
- Car Decal: California Notary Laura Biewer scores “drive-by” business with her car decal emblazoned with her company name, At Your Service Mobile Notary. Google auto decal or vehicle graphics companies in your area for pricing.
- Professional Website: If you lack the skills, time or desire to create your own, hiring a professional website designer can ensure your site functions exactly how you want it to. Make sure it allows for easy updating, so you can keep your site content fresh and appealing.
- Designer Logo: Having a professional create a unique logo for your company can lend more credibility to your brand — and a particularly creative or attractive design may help attract new business.
Kelle Clarke is a Contributing Editor with the National Notary Association.