As a professional mobile Notary, it is extremely important to earn repeat customers — including title companies, signing services, local attorneys, hospitals and consumers. This affects the very core of your business.
Repeat customers are known to spend more over the long run than first time customers and can become great advocates for your business. A steady flow of repeat customers can also help keep your marketing budget within sensible means.
Building A Loyal Customer Base
In order to maintain that steady flow of repeat customers, it helps to invest time and energy into building your reputation through customer service and some commonsense activities. Here are some suggestions:
- Know what’s important to your customer. Each customer is different. Some customers, for example, want a lot of communication via text while others want all communication to take place via a website. If you don’t know already, find out what you can do to make your customer’s job a little easier.
- Ask for a glowing review. If you are doing great work for a company and they are constantly using your service, sometimes it is as easy as simply asking if they would do a review for you.
- Write a glowing review about the companies you want a review from. I have interviewed several scheduling managers from title as well as signing companies. The great ones read reviews of their companies at least once or twice a month. If one of your clients is treating you well, giving you lots of assignments and paying you in a timely manner, write a glowing review about them. You would be surprised at how many glowing reviews about your service will pop up everywhere.
- Build great professional networks. Under the right circumstances, this is a great way to get referral customers. If you spend the time to network and build professional relationships with businesses in your community, they will refer their customers to you. I have notarized documents in post offices, shipping and photocopy stores, banks, hospitals and more all from referrals from these companies.
- Sponsor a charity event in your area. Every year a group of Notaries in my area sponsors an event where the general public donates to a local food bank. We advertise this on social media pages as well as on our websites. This is a great way to give back to your community and standout in your profession as a business leader. People want to do business with not only great businesses but with great people. I have personally received referrals from clients who have told me that they love our community consciousness.
Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton once said, “There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else.” Staying connected with your customers and understanding their “customer experience” will play an important part in building a stable business that you can be proud of.
Daniel Lewis of Carmel, Indiana, is the founder of Lewis Notary Services Inc., a nationwide mobile service. He also teaches Notary best practices and is a former NNA Notary of the Year.